50th anniversary big celebration and reunion: fun in the sun! | Community Spirit
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tucson (BBBST) recently celebrated its 50th anniversary with a big celebration and reunion on Sunday, April 21. The party went from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the University of Arizona Mall.
It was a perfect day for the event, typical spring weather for Tucson - beautiful, warm and sunny with a gentle breeze. All current and former Bigs, Littles, Board members, supporters and their families were invited to attend, with almost 400 people joining in on the fun!
Many of the attendees were alumni of BBBST programs who enjoyed looking through old photo albums to see their match photos and perusing agency newsletters from days gone by.
Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild declared April 21, to be Big Brother Big Sisters of Tucson Day and read his proclamation at the Big Celebration and Reunion.
Among the other event highlight was an awards ceremony emceed by Randy Peterson of KXCI 91.3 FM, recognizing the following BBBST honorees:
- Corporate Sponsor of the Year: Shamrock Foods
- Agency Champion of the Year: Marilyn LeRud
- Site Based Big of the Year: Jessie Marman
- Big Couple of the Year: Pat Sheils & Kay Parks
- Parent of the Year: Fina Iturralde
- Louis Di Donato Big Brother Honoree: Gavin Wiggins
- Louis Di Donato Big Sister Honoree: Leslie Grant
- Big Brother of the Year: Ryan Summers
- Big Sister of the Year: Angela Telesco
- The Carlos Urias Ahumada Little Brother of the Year Honoree: Leon Medina
- The Carlos Urias Ahumada Little Sister of the Year Honoree: Celena Stewart
There was a barbecue picnic lunch with hamburgers and all the trimmings, cooked by volunteers from Southwest Ambulance, with drinks provided by Eegees as well as other treats.
Event activities included several jumping castles; chess playing with Tucson chess aficionado, Paul Gold; face painting and temporary tattoos; a DJ with music and dancing; a photo booth; as well as a water balloon toss and other games.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tucson is proud to be celebrating 50 years of memories and positively impacting the lives of more than ten thousand of Tucson’s children. Sending out a ‘Thank you’ to everyone who joined in the celebration by attending this fun, family event!