Pima County Sheriff's Department: School Zone Safety & Enforcement | Events
The following is a news release from the Pima County Sheriff’s Department:
In a continuing effort to ensure traffic safety, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department will initiate a high profile school zone enforcement campaign. This traffic safety campaign is designed to increase compliance with school zone speed limits, seatbelt use, and proper use of child restraints.
The campaign began this morning and will continue until December 20. There is a second deployment scheduled as part of the effort for the two weeks following the winter break from January 7, 2013 until January 18, 2013.
The high profile campaign will take an aggressive enforcement approach and is intended to serve as a reminder to motorists to slow down and obey the posted speed limits and crossing guard directions when travelling through school zones.
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department encourages all motorists, parents, and students to practice safe driving and pedestrian habits.
Tips for Motorists:
- Slow down and obey all traffic laws and speed limits
- “Stop” for pedestrians in crosswalks
- Always stop for a school bus that has stopped to load/unload children.
- Do not block crosswalks at intersections
- Be alert and ready to stop. Watch for children, especially where there are no sidewalks.
Tips for Parents & Teachers:
- Help children learn and practice the safety rules for walking, bicycling or riding in a passenger car or school bus.
- Supervise young children as they are walking or biking to school.
- Be a good role model. Always buckle up (it’s the law) and cross in a crosswalk.
Tips for Students:
- Remember to always buckle up when riding in a car.
- Always ride in the back seat. It’s the safest place for young people.
- Always wear a helmet and follow safety rules when riding your bike.
- If you ride the school bus, learn and practice the safety rules for waiting at the bus stop, getting on and off the bus, and riding the bus.
- If you walk to school, learn to practice the safety rules for pedestrians. Always cross at crosswalks, look both ways for on-coming traffic, obey all traffic signs, traffic lights and crossing guard’s instructions.